They Weren’t Going Hunting

And they had no 2nd Amendment. They worshiped God but recognized that mortal threats existed. So they took their guns to church – and everywhere else, as it was their duty to defend against those threats. We mostly delegate that duty to our Police now – and they are much appreciated, but they can’t be in every church or stop every deranged maniac every time.

I have no doubt there were men present in the recent massacre who would’ve fired back, if they’d taken their guns inside. They may have saved lives. They may have saved their children. Shakes me up to wonder why God didn’t, but that’s over my head, I guess.

If you have one and are properly instructed on its use, take your gun with you. And pray you never need to use it.

pilgrims to church

15 responses to “They Weren’t Going Hunting

1. JCscuba November 7, 2017 at 9:08 pm

A showstopper in light of recent events, thanks, taking it to my site. Great job as usual

2. Scooter Van Neuter November 7, 2017 at 10:32 pm

I belong to the largest church in Arizona. Our congregation is encouraged to exercise their 2nd Amendment rights (the church has sponsored firearms courses) and our substantial plainclothes security force is armed to the teeth. Whether a good person or bad, we’re here to help you meet Jesus.

3. Lee Van Queef II November 8, 2017 at 6:58 am

Texans, shoot back. Just shoot back.

4. silvestris November 8, 2017 at 8:14 am

Laws against concealed carry in church may be a factor in my decision not to partipate in organized religion, but I must obey the law. Now the Micky Mouse no guns signs in establishments, not so much. A courthouse, a jail, I can see the logic.

• Earl of Taint November 8, 2017 at 7:21 pm

Because you’re rational. All normal people can see it. The churches need to concede it’s necessary to defend against the lunatics and monsters who indulge themselves in the destruction of innocent lives.

5. Bad_Brad November 8, 2017 at 12:51 pm

Where ever I go, there I am. And if I go there, it’s not a gun free zone. And yes, I will do everything to keep from pulling it. But pull it I will.

6. SafeSpace November 10, 2017 at 4:52 pm

This is beautiful, Earl. Many thanks for the words and the fine vintage painting.

7. randy November 17, 2017 at 12:59 am

why God didn’t? His gift to every person of free will, that’s why. But…
    “Somebody outside the church had a rifle. He knew how to use it. It will not cost $1 million for the local authorities to try and convict the murderer. There will be no life imprisonment without possibility of parole, and no overturning of that sentence by a parole board. The murderer was transferred to the Supreme Court. I am certain that he has been tried, convicted, and sentenced. There will be no appeal. There will be no parole.” (So sorry, don’t know to whom to attribute this quote.)