Update

I’m working again. New gig starts tomorrow – only took 6 solid months to land it. (I know, I’m much luckier than many people out there.) Nice folks and I’m looking forward to, hopefully, helping them grow. Of course I’m moving a bit backwards on pay and bennies…this is Obamaland, after all and I don’t work for the gubmint…but not too harsh. Much better than not working at all. I was starting to feel semi-retired and I can’t do that yet. Blogging will surely be lighter than it is now, but I don’t plan to stop altogether. We got an election coming up, right?

On the down side…I’m a Dallas Cowboys fan. Life-long, diehard since I was about 12 years old. If you follow the NFL, you know today was not a good day for me. Nothing like when I was much younger and any Cowboys loss, much less the embarrassing butt-kicking they got today, would ruin my whole upcoming week. Tony Romo out Romo’ed himself today. As someone on Twitter noted, “Romo” is Spanish for “Interception”. But I’m over it now. Until the next game.

Cowboys Fans, Today

Cowboys Fans, Today

Thanks to all of you for your readership, ideas and support.

Earl

31 responses to “Update

1. Mac September 7, 2014 at 7:41 pm

So yer a Cowboys fan uh?
    Well I’m a Browns fan so I think I got ya beat here in the Cleveland Factory of Sadness when it comes to sports grief!
    But hey, good luck with the new job!

• Earl of Taint September 8, 2014 at 6:21 am

Thanks.
      I actually have a soft spot for your Browns – even though they used to have a serious hex on the Boys, back in their old NFL days. I do feel your pain, here’s hoping for better days.

• Wiliam September 8, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Leroy Kelly was my favorite player when I was a half back in little league…loved him, but I grew up in Denver and suffered as a fan with the Broncos through the AFL and into the NFL….I only healed, as a fan, when the Broncos played the Brownies in those AFC championship games…sorry, but…ROFLMAO….Earnest Byner rules…LOL….sorry

2. diogenes September 7, 2014 at 7:51 pm

Glad to see you’re back to paying you fair share of taxes, we got kids coming up here for free lunch ya know.

As for Romo, I Blame Jessica Simpson for puttin the evil mojo on him…. ;)

3. PoliticalClownParade (@Carry_That_Load) September 7, 2014 at 8:14 pm

Wonderful news Earl. Faith in God makes all the difference. Now get in there and show ’em how it’s done. I couldn’t be happier for you. Take good care my friend.

4. Gene September 7, 2014 at 9:03 pm

Congratulations!!

5. Pam September 7, 2014 at 11:24 pm

I sure hope they fire you so we can more awesome political artistry. ;)

6. Proof (@ProofBlog) September 8, 2014 at 12:17 am

Good news on the job front! You beat the odds of the Obama unemployed.

7. Blue Lou Boyle September 8, 2014 at 6:44 am

EARL the Pearl of taint!!!
    1) congrats and good luck on the new job!
    2) wallowing in self pity over the Cowboys????? Remember there is always someone in the world worse off than you…..ME…Im a frikken JETS fan…In case you didn’t know, the JETS and all JETS fans are more pitiful and lower than prehistoric frog shit in a New Jersey swamp. (thanks WOT Roses). And Thats all I have to say about that!
    Cheers Brah

8. ElDotardo September 8, 2014 at 8:15 am

When I was 12, I was shagging balls for Y.A. Tittle at 49er training camp (then St. Mary’s college), and I’ve remained a 49er Faithful ever since. I feel your pain, however. I remember the Steve DeBerg days.

• Earl of Taint September 8, 2014 at 9:00 pm

I barely remember YA Tittle – always knew the name, of course. That’s pretty cool. I have had no such brush with greatness. The Cowboys were the team on local TV in Austin.

9. GruntOfMonteCristo September 8, 2014 at 12:33 pm

Outstanding news, Earl! Sorry to hear about the “paying’ taxes” thing, but at least the quality of the chow should improve. Maybe spring for a bacon-flavored Spam instead of the usual plain now and then. I already miss the genius we free-loaders are going to be denied once you get busy paying the bills. Keep it up as much as you can, Buddy. We appreciate it! Congrats!

10. Barfo September 8, 2014 at 4:59 pm

Congrats Earl, Wish you the best. I’m a Texans fan since the ’70 when they were the Oilers and very use to disappointing games, But yesterday was a good day. : )

• Earl of Taint September 8, 2014 at 6:30 pm

I was an Oilers fan when Bum coached and Earl played. Luv Ya Blue. Broke my heart that they couldn’t kick that door down. The Texans are my fallback, backup, auxiliary team. That was a nice win yest. The Cowboys wanted Watt real bad, y’all got him first. Hope Clowney gets back in soon. I was looking forward to watching those 2 wreck havoc.

11. Cry and Howl September 8, 2014 at 5:50 pm

Brother, I live in Ft. Worth … I know how you feel!

12. szooo September 8, 2014 at 10:02 pm

Fantastic news about the job! For some of us, it’s hard to feel like a respectable grownup without one, isn’t it? I hope it becomes thoroughly enjoyable.

You can use that commute time to transition. I once had too short a commute to let me make the changeover properly between work and home. I finally learned to sit in the car in front of my house till I’d wrapped up the day’s events in my mind, and then would go inside and start “my” part of the day.

And a lot can (and will) happen before the SuperBowl, my friend. Have faith.

• Earl of Taint September 9, 2014 at 6:37 am

Thanks vm.
      It’s hard to feel respectable w/o a job, yes indeed. Worst part of the whole ordeal for me was the pressure it put on my poor wife (wolves were never at our door but she’s a worrier). I will make it enjoyable.

It’s a long season, yeah. I enjoy the NFL as a whole and I’m happy we have fb. I’m much more ‘detached’ from the Boys than I used to be. Expectations are lowered…pretty sad. But I’m not a season ticket holder, I have no stake in the team. Life goes on.

13. randyg1 September 21, 2014 at 8:11 am

I have been a fan since 67,I cried after the ice bowl, I was 10…